Thursday, September 6, 2012

Back to School Baking.....muffins!

September is back to school time.  It is usually at this time of the year I contemplate what sort of baked goods I am going to make for lunches.  I scour the internet and my recipe books in search of new recipes.

A few weeks ago I bought some great B.C. peaches (for those of you not knowing....B.C. is British Columbia - another Canadian province.).  These peaches are so sweet and tasty.  I have made a few peach pies with them.  We also have enjoyed them fresh....cut up and served on ice cream.

I still have some peaches left over and wanted to try to make some muffins out of them.  I am always trying to get my kids to eat fruits and veggies and I have found muffins are a great way to do this.  I have never made peach muffins before so I was up to the challenge.

I came across a recipe here at food.com.  I always am modifying recipes and thought I could tweak this one a bit to suit our tastes.

Here is what I came up with:

Peach Muffins

1 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp.salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 eggs, well beaten
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 c. chopped peaches

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350F. Grease your muffin tins lightly.

Combine dry ingredients.  Mix well and add the eggs, oil, applesauce and vanilla.

Stir in the chopped peaches.

Distribute batter into your greased muffin tins.  Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes (this depends on your own oven of course!) until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Here are my muffins.  I think I might up the cinnamon to 1 tsp. next time...we like cinnamon here!  I sprinkled a little sugar on the top of each before baking but think maybe next time I will make a cinnamon streusel topping to go on top of each muffin....YUM!


Update:  After DD got home from school she tried one and they are a hit!  I definately will be making these again!

No comments:

Post a Comment